POSITION: VICE PRESIDENT of FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION
REPORTS TO: President/CEO
FLSA Designation: EXEMPT
SUMMARY: Serves as chief financial officer and directs financial affairs of organization. Directs financial management procedures, prepares financial statements and reports and manages accounting personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Consults legal counsel to ensure that policies comply with federal and state law.
- Develops and maintains a human resources system that meets top management information needs.
- Oversees the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
- Hires, trains, develop and appraise staff effectively. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis.
- Coordinates budget planning and approval process; produces and publishes budget.
- Monitors budget planning and prepares report which summarize and forecast activity and financial position in areas of income, expense, earnings and fund balances, assets and liabilities, based on past, present and expected operations.
- Establishes and monitors a system of internal controls to safeguard assets and maintain the integrity of Bureau operations and transactions.
- Reviews vendor/service contracts for compliance and informs appropriate personnel of compliance results, termination/renewal dates, insurance and other contractual requirements.
- Reviews and approves disbursements; supervises accounts payable.
- Reviews and approves financial transactions.
- Reviews contracts for multiple years; advises management of problems and opportunities with contracts.
- Reviews and monitors purchasing activities of department heads.
- Arranges for audits of Bureaus books and accounts.
- Supervises the maintenance of all financial records. Directs the periodic review of these records to assure completeness.
- Prepares reports for regulatory agencies and taxing authorities.
- Supervises payroll preparation.
- Responds to all requests for financial information from department heads. Assists them with interpretation and budget management issues.
- Supervises the accounting and human resources functions. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, directing and evaluating work; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Provides support assistance and training to accounting personnel in the utilization of various PC applications in an effort to increase efficiency and productivity.
- Conducts special projects as assigned by President/CEO and Board.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Strong accounting and computer skills; ability to manage large financial database
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations
- Strong customer service and business etiquette skills
- Good oral and written communications skills
- Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Able to read and analyze and interpret common technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Strong understanding of mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Four-year degree from an academic institution in accounting; MBA/CPA or CMA certification preferred. Ten or more years related experience managing accounting, human resources and budgetary functions in a medium size company.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.