Title: Director of Learning and Development
Department: Human Resources
Reports to: CEO and Director of Human Resources
Supervises: Learning and Development Coordinator
Date: September 19, 2016
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Learning and Development is responsible for designing, developing, delivering, evaluating and managing firm-wide learning and career development programs which meets the strategic and organizational direction of the Firm. Oversees and administers all learning programs for professional and administrative staff. Works closely with the CEO and Director of Human Resources on the overall development, goals and activities of the program.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Conduct needs assessment and analyzes learning needs including firm wide technical and department specific technical, niche specific technical and soft skills. Develop learning to meet the needs of each area.
- Create, develop, and maintain learning curriculum for all Firm members ensuring all curriculum meets the Firm’s strategic initiatives, style and culture and the needs of Firm members.
- Develop, design, and deliver a full CPE curriculum program for the Firm including technical and soft skills courses which meet the Firm’s strategic initiatives, style and culture.
- Collaborate with Department Heads to create learning curriculum that meets the needs of each department and their members. Ensure a well-rounded curriculum is offered.
- Negotiate and coordinate the use of outside consultants to ensure they meet the learning needs and effectiveness criteria established by the Firm. Ensure they provide relevant and timely in-house learning. Coordinate content and logistics including material reproduction, registration, and evaluation.
- Coordinate internal presentations by collaborating with presenters on developing content, sending out pre-course work and setting up classroom as necessary; administer presentation evaluations to gather and analyze feedback.
- Evaluate effectiveness for all courses, both by internal and external instructors to ensure learning supports Firm’s organizational needs. Obtain and maintain learning effectiveness ratings on all instructors. Provide regular feedback to instructors to ensure they continue to meet the firm’s expectation for delivery and content.
- Conduct and review surveys of all firm learning sessions to ensure learning is effective and make changes as needed.
- Develop, monitor and manage annual learning budget; review and approve staff expenses related to learning; maintain appropriate records and receipts.
- Ensure all courses are effectively communicated internally by using a variety of methods and media.
- Manage and execute The Firm’s Leadership Development Program annually including internal marketing and communications, internal recruitment, creation of annual calendar, booking speakers and working with the participants on various projects and activities.
- Maintain the Firm’s internal Learning Management System including the input and maintenance of course information, monitoring registrations, running needed reports and issuing certificates of completion. Provide orientation to any new Firm member on using the LMS system as part of New Hire Orientation process.
- Assist employees in developing personal development plans. Monitor personal development plan for each employee.
- Maintain an electronic learning and development resource library including books, CDs, videos, and project materials. Effective use of technology.
- Maintain all Firm member licensing files and information; provide regular and up to date information to directors; research State Boards of Accountancy rules to identify out- of-state licensing requirements for staff; complete applications and monitor license status as required.
- Monitor continuing education compliance for various licenses and certifications; collaborate with individuals to ensure all requirements are met; assist with CPA application process.
- Manage the firm’s tuition reimbursement program; maintain all files and records; respond to questions; track reimbursement costs and approve all reimbursements. Respond to questions and inquiries; track course completion and grades and approve expenses.
- Develops and documents Firm wide learning standards, policies and procedures.
- Create, monitor and review specific learning curriculum for buddies to train new hires.
- Annual review, developmnet and implementation of the Firm’s employee orientation program.
- Annual review of learning policies and procedures with recommendations for updates.
- Oversees learning coordinator to ascertain that learning materials are in compliance with CPE standards.
- Oversees learning coordinator to ascertain that CPE records are being maintained in accordance with Firm and compliance standards.
- Maintain knowledge base of changing and emerging developments within the profession and externally in order to anticipate, plan and present courses on emerging issues utilizing new and innovative delivery methods. Research available learning sources for appropriate content and method information to be used as resources and future learning partners.
- Research new technologies and methodologies in workplace learning
- Meet with all Firm members quarterly to discuss progress of learning paths, learning goals and individual learning needs.
- Attends required continuing professional education.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Minimum education requirement of a master’s degree in Human Resource management and Organizational Development.
- Annual continuing education requirements must be met if licenses or accrediations are acquired and must be up to date.
- Experience in a professional services firm.
- 10 plus years experience in learning with good technology and communications skills.
- Classroom teaching experience
- Curriculum development
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of the principles of organizational development and adult learning and education.
- Strong business skills specifically in the areas of learning and development and administration.
- Skill in communicating effectively with a variety of personalities.
- High level of planning and organizing work.
- Ability to function as a coach at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to provide effective learning to all levels of staff.
- Ability to craft course curriculum designed to meet the needs of the participants.
- Ability to develop and implement strategic initiatives for department and organization.
- Ability to define priorities and to handle multiple tasks and projects.
- Ability to work under pressure; maintain problem-solving attitude.
- Ability to change focus quickly.
- Ability to communicate, motivate and cooperate with all levels of staff.
- Proficient in business writing and communication.
- Knowledge of computer applications.
SAFETY HAZARDS OF THE JOB
1. Minimal hazards. General office working conditions.
This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be asked by directors, associate directors or managers to perform other instructions and duties. You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description.
Management has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not a contract for employment, and either you or the employer may terminate employment at any time, for any reason.